|Antigua was the nation's capital from 1543 until 1776. Following the devastating earthquake, the convent of the Capucinas in Antigua, was also moved to the capital when the capital was moved 45km (28mi) to the east to the present site of Guatemala City.
Excerpt from article published in JAXFAX Travel Marketing Magazine:
"Among the best preserved colonial architecture is Las Capuchinas, the Capuchin Convent, completed in 1736 under the direction of the chief architect of the city, Diego de Porres. Today the convent is partially intact and partially in ruins. The intact portions house a museum and offices for the National Council for the Protection of Antigua Guatemala. The ruined sections include baths for the nuns, and an unusual circular area containing novices cells, each complete with its own sewer system. Below this circular patio is a mysterious, subterranean chamber that resonates wonderfully to the smallest sound. One can only imagine what the growing Aum would be like that was created by the repetitious mumbling of prayers as the nuns walked endlessly around the massive pillar holding the large cupola. The ruined nave of the chapel, approximately 120 feet long, can be viewed from the nuns' choir loft, accessed from the second floor level of the ruins. From the second floor a great view can be had of the twin volcanoes Fuego and Acatenango." Read full article By Chantal Guillou-Brennan
Picture credit Chantal Guillou-Brennan
Copyright Creative Media 2004